Friday, February 18, 2011

The Dining Room: A Blank Slate

 I’m really enjoying the whole painting the different rooms in my house thing.  Okay, well to be honest I hate everything between deciding you want to paint up too the pulling off the last bit of tape.  Maybe hate is a strong word, we will go with strongly dislike.  But to me all the steps involved with painting are just necessary evils of wanting a change.  Seeing how I can’t afford to hire someone else to do it, I just have to suck it up, and do it.

I will say that I hate caulking with a passion!  I’m sure it is mostly because I don’t really know what I am doing and I get it all over my hands and that stuff just doesn’t wash off easily.  If it wasn’t for that, I might actually, sort of be able to, get into one of those relaxed, enjoyable states of mind while paining.

I do however enjoy the end result, and I know that because I did it myself I can take some pride in that, as long as you don’t look too closely.

I like the time right before you start the project.  You know when the room is cleaned out and it is just a blank slate waiting for you to put your mark on it?  You get to just stand back with ideas and plans going through your head.  This is what I got to stand back and look at last week…





When I decided that I would be painting the room I headed to the fabric store to get some ideas of what I would want for curtains in the room.  I knew I also wanted to recover the dining room chairs so I decided making my own curtains would be easier than buying ready made them trying to match that to fabric for the chairs.  Well let me clarify, I don’t sew, but my momma does and she got volunteered to make curtains.

While there were a few fabrics that caught my eye while looking one stood out at me and I kept thinking about it all the way home, and the next day.  I knew then that it was the one I wanted.  I lucked out because when I went back to buy it I found it was 50% off, which was a great thing, because I wouldn’t have been able to afford it other wise.


With the fabric in hand I had to do the fun thing of picking out colors.  Maybe it’s the too many colors to pick from or that I’m afraid I’ll pick the wrong color, but this is one of the hardest things for me.  I’m working on reminding myself as long as I am happy, who cares, and trying to avoid everything being super matchy matchy.

Meet my colors:


(I had intended to open the cans and take a picture, but I kept forgetting, so this above will have to work for now.)

The only thing I know for sure that is going in this room is a mirror I pulled out of the middle bedroom.  It was one of those clearance buys.  Something I bought really cheap and thought I’d have a place for it one day.  We shall see if that day has come. 


I want an elegant room, especially with the furniture, so I’ll be on the hunt to see what I can find that fits with that.

Stayed tuned!  In the near future I will have more pictures of this project to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment