Monday, February 7, 2011

The Plan: Starting a Daily/Weekly Routine

I realize that having a routine will help keep you on track and doing the things you need to do.  For me it’s always been hard to establish one.  Or maybe I just have never really made the effort to.  I don’t know.

It is easy to just go with the flow when you aren’t married and you don’t have anyone but work depending on you to be somewhere at a specific time or get something done by a certain day.  For me, if I don’t feel like doing laundry for a week or two, I‘m the only one having to do the sniff test to pick out clothes.  No one is going to gripe at me if there are dirty dishes piled up next to the sink.  And if I don’t have anything in the fridge to eat, who one is around to give me a crazy look when I just eat garlic toast and pickles for dinner?

As long as I keep the litter box scooped and the cat feed, he doesn’t care what I do.

I have an irregular work schedule in the evenings, and since I have a full time job to go with that irregular part time job, the bulk of my cleaning chores would have to be done in the evenings and on weekends.  Not to mention that work nights are the nights I never get things done, because working 8am to 9pm with a short break between makes for a very long day and I usually just want to eat dinner and veg out when I get home.

I am so not a morning person.  It is really pointless for me to try to get up early to do anything before work.  I can say I will, but I really know that I won’t.  I just don’t function that well first thing in the morning.

I’ll have to suck it up though.  While there are nights where I won’t want to do anything, I need to remind myself that by doing a little each night it will mean that I don’t have to spend a whole day or more doing everything.  I will just have to play around with it to find a schedule that works for me, I guess.

I’m awesome at making plans, but so far suck at really following through.  Instead of getting way elaborate and making a big plan I’ll never follow I have decided that I will start small and work my way up.  I’m going to start with a few items that I plan to focus on, then add in another one or two every week or so.

This week my goals are to:
1.  Make my bed every morning. 

I’ve actually been working on this one since the beginning of the year, but sometimes I still skip it.  When I switch over and start using my new quilt I want the bed to look good every day.  Other wise I should have saved the money and stayed with the same comforter, that’s been in a space saver bag for over a year, which is now in the garage sale pile with its dozen throw pillows.

2.  Keep the bathroom sink cleaned off.

I made a basket for items I use regularly that I can pull off the shelf, use and return.  Instead of separating my daily make up out into different plastic drawers, I put it in just one.  Instead of hunting and digging around I can just pull out one drawer and replace it when I am finished.  This is probably normal everyday stuff for some, but not for me.

3.  Stay on top of the dishes.

My grandma was one of those that wouldn’t leave a dirty dish in the sink before she went to bed, ever.  My dad is the say way.  Somehow, it missed me, and not by a little bit either.  I can go a week without washing dishes.  Of course that means when I do wash the dishes I have to spend forever doing them.  Currently the only dirty dish in my kitchen is my tea glass, and I’m still drinking from it.


As I said before I could totally keep going here listing out ten or more things I *will* do every day.  But I am still sticking with the baby steps they just work better for me.  With the task of painting the dining room coming up, I won’t have a lot of time to focus on a bunch of other stuff.  Instead of setting myself up for failure I’m trying to set myself up for success.  When life hits an even kilter I’ll worry about having a bigger list of things I just must do every day.  But for now, those three will be it.

I do have the weekly goal of doing a menu plan for the week.  This is primarily to help me from wasting food/money.  I am tired of buying food then just never get around to doing anything with it before it goes bad.  I’ll be working on ’My Plan’ for that as I go along.

One last thing, I do want to get in the habit of sweeping the floor regularly.  I’d love to say I would do it nightly, but again I’m trying to be realistic here.  I plan to sweep at least two to three times a week.  Who knows, maybe I’ll turn in to a daily sweeper, but then again, maybe not.

I didn’t really do anything productive tonight.  The most I did other than cook dinner was portion out the ground turkey and spaghetti sauce into bags and froze it.  I had thought I would tackle something cleaning or organization wise, but I just wasn’t feeling it.  After wondering from room to room trying to figure out what to do, I decided to take the night off.  Even though it is only , I am going to crawl into bed with a book and read for a while and call it an early night.  Hoping sleep will improve my mood for tomorrow.

By the way, yes my bed got made this morning, the bathroom cabinet is cleaned off and I am about to go wash my tea glass. 

I can check all three items off for yesterday as well. *smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment