Sunday, March 6, 2011

Alfredo Mac

My regular mac and cheese recipe is an adaptation from the recipe found in a Better Homes and Garden Cookbooks.  For this recipe I took that basic idea and played around with it until I had the following.

Alfredo Mac

4 oz (1 cup) elbow noodles, cooked according to package directions

1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup roughly chopped mushrooms
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup Italian cheese blend
2 Tablespoons bacon
2/3 cups sweet or English peas

Sauté the onions and mushrooms in the butter until tender.  Stir in the flour and minced garlic.  Stir in the milk and bring to a boil, cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the cheese then peas and bacon.  Stir in the elbow noodles.

It is ready to eat at this point.  Or you can pour it into a casserole dish and bake it for about 20-25 mins until it is bubbly.  If you are baking it you can top it with a little more cheese or even panko bread crumbs.

Additional Notes:
This made about four 3/4th cups servings.  If you want bigger servings then you can always double it.

This recipe isn’t overly cheesy.  It does remind me more of an alfredo sauce than a cheesy sauce.  If you want a bigger cheese taste add 1 1/2 cups or 2 cups of cheese.  I kept it less because I was trying to cut down on calories.

I used the 1 1/2 tablespoon butter because that is what I had left of a stick.  You can up it to 2 tablespoons butter and flour with out any problem.

I used peas because that is what I had in the freezer that I wanted to use up.  You can change that to another veggie or add in an additional veggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment